For Christmas, Matthew's dad wanted to install an autostart in my car. Just in case you don't know what an autostart is, it's this cool little device that allows me to push a button on a keychain clicker thing and my car starts. It also has a very loud alarm... but that comes into play in a minute. He said it would take about 4 hours to do. He had already put one on Matthew's truck, and one on his brother's sentra (which is the same car I have, but his is an older model), so he knew what he was doing.

We drove over around 8am or so, and his dad had breakfast for us (very nice of him), and he heads out to get started. Come to find out, the manual he had for my car was actually for the '99 and 2000 year models of the car. Mine is a 2001. So he gets on the phone with the service people, and they have the wrong manual... go figure. We were there until about 4pm. I had to go because I was suppose to go to Dad's that day for Christmas Eve the next day. He told us that he couldn't get the autostart to work, but the clicker works for the locks and such and it should be ok. He said that he would fix it when I got back. Ok, so Matthew and I got in the car and I started driving. That was when R2D2 struck. Every other time I let off the brake, the car beeped at me, or the lights on the sensor (attached to the windshield right by the door) flashed... blue lights. I also heard a weird clicking sound, but decided that it was tolerable since I was already late and still had some last minute shopping to do (found out later it was the car trying to start itself after it was already started). I drove back to Lexington and stupid me decided to take New Circle Rd. So at this point I am in 5:30 Lexington stop-and-go traphic with R2D2 and a flashing blue light on my windshield. It was no wonder everyone was driving so slow in front of me! We finally made it to the store, and when I tried to shut off my car it didn't shut off... until I hit the brake. I started freaking out now, but I got what I needed and we went across the street for dinner. Once my car was off, I sighed in relief... until my car lit up, started, then shut off. I glanced at Matthew as it did it three more times. He just laughed at me. I ended up driving back to his parent's house so his dad could disconnect the whole thing.
Sometime after Christmas, we went back over to try to get it fixed. It didn't take very long and his dad wanted me to take it for a test drive to make sure it wasn't doing the weird thing. Well.... it wasn't beeping, but every time I let off the brake it alternated between locking and unlocking my doors. After another attempt at fixing it, every time I let off the brake the alarm went off and the trunk popped open! It reminded me of that scene in Big Fat Liar when they sabotage his car and every button did something completely different than what it should have done. He did manage to get everything fixed, and now I can start my car with my clicker. It's very exciting :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment