Matthew had his wisdom teeth taken out today. We have had it scheduled for about a month, so I thought I was prepared for it. I was soooo wrong.
Matthew did fine, and the surgery went perfectly. I expected him to be pretty "drunk" for the rest of the day, no problems. They called me back to see him, and what I saw scared the crap out of me. His cheeks were puffed out from the gauze and his lips were dry and cracked. Other than that, he looked ok. He also had the hiccups. I guess the real problem was that I have never felt so helpless. I held myself together, talked to the dentist, and got him in the car. He was kind of funny making silly comments and he had a goofy grin from his mouth being numb. We had to drive back to Lexington from Frankfort, which is about a 35 minute drive. The numbness started wearing off before I could get him home and give him his pain meds. I felt so stupid for not bringing them with me.
We are home now, and he has had his meds and is sleeping. I hate feeling helpless. He hurts and I can't do anything about it. There are so many things to keep an eye out for that I'm scared I'm going to miss or forget something. I have taken care of him many times through illness and pain, but I have never had to handle anything of this scale. I'm sure it will all work out and I'm just overreacting, but I can't help but be concerned. This is just one of the many jobs I have as his future wife, and it's scary knowing I am the closest one here to take care of him. Our parents are all at least a half hour away, so if something goes wrong it is on me to act quickly. I'm praying that doesn't happen, but it is still a concern.
I'm sure I'm just freaking myself out, and he will be just fine in a couple of days.
What do you think? Ever been in this situation? If so, how did you handle it?
January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Honey... We don't even have anyone here... You have parents at a distance of one phone call.
I was in the same situation but not with respect to wisdom teeth :-) Hubby had sinus infections and yes, I DID feel helpless.
But I know this is the same case the other way round. I think that the other way round is much scarier.
I am a firm believer that women deal much better when taking care of someone rather than men taking care of us! You should see the way my father-in-law, dad, bro-in-law are nervous wreck when their spouses are ill/sick... Hahahah!
Post a Comment