September 26, 2008

Too bad I'm lactose intolerant

I am trying to break the monotony of just discussing my own daily events on here. I promise to try to do it a little more often, so for today, I am responding to a very recent article that I am sure most people have read. You can read it here.

The article is about PETA trying to get Ben & Jerry's to use human milk instead of cow milk for their ice cream. They are arguing that cow milk is harmful to us and the cows, and that the use of breast milk would be healthier. OK, first I must say ewww... I mean, I know that I was breastfed, and I plan on breastfeeding my own children, but there is a difference between drinking your mother's milk and eating ice cream made from a complete stranger's milk. Another thing, doesn't it hurt the cows if they are not milked? (Thanks to Billy for bringing up this point). I have heard that it hurts moms when they are unable to breastfeed or pump so I imagine it isn't that different for cows. Also, cows are raised in areas where their feeding habits, environment, etc can be closely monitered. Everything that cow takes in will be in its milk. The same goes for humans, hence the reason moms have to be careful what they eat or drink while breastfeeding. I'm pretty sure it would not be ethical to lock a bunch of nursing women into a room just to make sure that everything stays constant... and who would agree to that anyway? Apparently Ben & Jerry's has no intention of making the switch (and ice cream lovers unite in a big "phew....") but I thought it was interesting to discuss. So what do you think about it?

0 comments:

© Life's Little Adventures, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena