I haven't posted another recipe since my Enchiladas, so I have decided to share another one. (Hold the applause... you are much too kind! haha) Today's recipe is a classic from my southeastern Kentucky roots. My parents practically grew up on recipes like this. Not only is it super easy, it's very very cheap too (the beans may cost a buck or two, and the cornbread mix goes for around .79). If the economy continues like it is, we may be having this a lot more. Good thing it's tasty!
Soup Beans and Cornbread
- 1 bag of dry pinto beans (you can use any beans you like, I just prefer pinto)
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
Go through the bag of beans picking out any that look odd. I only used half a bag, so you can buy as big or as little as you want and just use whatever. There is pretty much nothing exact about this recipe.

Rinse the beans well, then put in a big pot and cover with water. Cover, and cook over medium/medium high heat. I like to put them on in the morning and let them cook all day. If you want them finished sooner, put them on high. Stir occasionally, and add water every couple of hours or so (2 to 4 cups a time should do it). Prepare the cornbread based on the directions on the box. Once the cornbread is finished and the beans are soft, crumble a piece of cornbread into the bottom of a bowl, and cover with beans. Add salt and pepper to taste, and voila! Soup beans and cornbread!
2 comments:
Wow this really IS very easy... honestly this might be a a very common recipe if the economic situ continues... Will def try this sometime since it is veggie!!
:-D
Oh yeah I am gonna add pepper AND red chilli powder to it too! LoL Indianizing it!!
Post a Comment