July 3, 2011

Wedding Bells.

I spent the weekend in Indianapolis to celebrate my stepsister's wedding.  It was a beautiful ceremony and the happy couple did not stop smiling the entire time! The receptions was also a hit, so overall it was a very successful event!

As wonderful as the weekend was to celebrate the beautiful union, it was also extremely busy.  My stepsister did my flowers for my wedding, so when she asked me to be in charge of her cake I couldn't say no. She wanted cupcakes with a small two-tier cake on top to cut and save for their anniversary.  My dad and I drove up to Indy very early on Friday to use the church kitchen to bake the cupcakes.  I had already made the two tiers of the cake and only needed to stack and ice them.  The kitchen had a huge convection oven that held 8 12-muffin trays at a time and cooked the cakes in 1/2 the time of a regular oven, so baking went pretty fast.  They also had an industrial mixer which was fantastic for mixing multiple boxes of cake mix at a time! In roughly 5 hours we made about 290 cupcakes, all iced.  It felt so good to have them finished.. that is until we went to pick them up.

Apparently, the church doesn't believe in air-conditioning the kitchen, and the cream cheese icing on the cupcakes started to melt.  Add that to the 90+ degree weather and the drive to the reception area and we had cream-cheese-icing-soup on top of the cupcakes! It was a gooey mess! We managed to get the cupcake tower up and got the cakes on it.  We hid the extra messy ones in the back and put the pretty ones in the front haha! The florist came in afterwards and decorated everything with flowers.  In the end, the cakes looked great and were a huge hit! My first adventure making a wedding cake was ultimately successful!!



2 comments:

Brahmin in Boston said...

Oooh! Give my congratulations to your step-sis!

Is this her who was at your wedding with her boyfriend/fiance? Put up her pics on FB!! She would've been such a pretty bride & he a very handsome groom :)

I am so glad that the cupcakes turned out ok. I would've been a nervous wreck if that had happened! Eeek!

Kirsty said...

Yes that's her! I didn't get any pics of her lol I was fighting back tears during the ceremony and they were all over the place during the reception. When someone puts some pics on facebook I'll "borrow" them and put them on here :) You are right though, she was gorgeous and he was quite the looker! haha

© Life's Little Adventures, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena