Except for the mouse.
Not exactly how the story goes, I know, but it's still true.
About a month ago I started seeing something strange. It was small, black, and fast. I would see it out of the corner of my eye, and by the time I turned my head to see it straight on it would be gone. It was too big to be a bug, but too small to be one of my pets. I pulled out a flashlight to look under furniture and I could see nothing. Whatever it was, it was part Houdini for sure.
I thought I was losing my mind! Alice kept scratching under the furniture and acting a little odd, but again when I would try to see if there was something there it would be gone. I just assumed she was playing a new game with herself and I let it go.
Fast forward to two weeks ago. It was late and everyone was asleep but me. I was hanging out in the living room watching a movie or netflix. I can't remember which.
Anyway, I got up to get something from the kitchen and a small black blob caught my eye. This time was different though. When I turned to get a good look, it didn't move! Sure enough it as a small field mouse... and it was dead. I only screamed a little on the inside (true story), grabbed a plastic bag, and disposed of Alice's 2nd victim. The first victim, if you need a refresher, was our beta fish Stitch.
So now a few things. First, we live by a farm so I'm really only surprised it took this long. I'm glad to know I wasn't seeing/imagining things. However, I am TERRIFIED. It is extremely rare to have just ONE mouse. I found its nest (under our couch btw) and cleaned everything up. I have checked once since then for evidence of another furry roommate but my search came up clean. Even still, every little scratch, sound, or scuffle perks my ears and eyes. Every time Alice tries to squeeze her chubby self under a piece of furniture my heart stops for a few seconds.
I tried to use this an excuse to get another cat but Matthew didn't go for it. I'm just glad that our completely-indoor-not-even-interested-in-going-outside cat is a good mouser. *shiver*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
ARRRRGHHHHH!!
Omg! Our old apartment had a mouse in that and we had to wait 5-7 days to catch it! It freaked the heck out of me as I was the one who used to get up early and would end up seeing it scurrying around.
But fortunately, I was also the one who saw it go out one of the dead heating vents.
TERRIFIED of all the diseases and infestations that they bring!
I've been keeping a close eye on Alice just in case it made her sick but she seems fine. I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. *shudder*
Eep that's not good! Hopefully cleaning things up and keeping an eye out will help!
Post a Comment