I finally finished my first (and second) draft of my personal statement! I have really been stressing over this stupid thing since last August, and I finally wrote it. My stupid talent of procrastination really got in the way, and I hope it doesn't kick me in the butt in the end. I am hoping some of my professors or TAs can look over it for me tomorrow before I send it in Thursday morning *EEEEEK* Wish me luck!
On another note, I feel the need to rant. You all know how much I hate ranting, but sometimes you just gotta do it. I should start by saying how much I HATE confrontation. I would prefer to just hold everything in than take a chance on making someone else mad. If I do get the guts to confront someone, I usually feel bad about it later. It really is something I should work on.
Someone in the lab (who is not the brightest crayon in the box) assumed I would take care of something that she should have taken care of. She did not ask me or even bother to let me know. I found out when a participant emailed me telling me what was going on. This person no-showed on the participant without telling them. The participant wanted credit, which is totally understandable. The person told the part. to contact me for credit. I was not happy that it was just assumed that I would take care of it. Of course I would, but it's the principle of the thing. It is common courtesy
to ask someone if they will take care of something for you. Well, I sent her an email after I got everything straightened out. I went over the procedure for missing lab times, then asked her to ask me next time she wants my help with something instead of making assumptions. It was stern, but necessary, and not mean. She responded with this huge sarcastic response about how she did this and that, which I know she didn't do. So now she is pissed at me when she made the mistake in the first place. I have a bad habit of letting people walk all over me, and I didn't want to let her know it was ok. I want your true opinion.... was I wrong to be upset? Should I have just dropped the whole thing? I keep second guessing myself, but deep down I'm pretty sure I did the right thing. I don't want us to be enemies either when we will have to work together for the rest of the semester. I really need a second opinion I guess. I will appreciate your honesty!
to ask someone if they will take care of something for you. Well, I sent her an email after I got everything straightened out. I went over the procedure for missing lab times, then asked her to ask me next time she wants my help with something instead of making assumptions. It was stern, but necessary, and not mean. She responded with this huge sarcastic response about how she did this and that, which I know she didn't do. So now she is pissed at me when she made the mistake in the first place. I have a bad habit of letting people walk all over me, and I didn't want to let her know it was ok. I want your true opinion.... was I wrong to be upset? Should I have just dropped the whole thing? I keep second guessing myself, but deep down I'm pretty sure I did the right thing. I don't want us to be enemies either when we will have to work together for the rest of the semester. I really need a second opinion I guess. I will appreciate your honesty!
3 comments:
Kudos to you! You managed to do what I can only dream of doing!
I so want to give out a very straight and sarcastic reply to all the persons who try to walk over me - but nooo I can only think of witty replies after the deed is done. And I am left staring after them open mouthed.
I HATE confrontation because when I do I make a huge ruckus and I know for sure that the person then would never ever be civil to me again. But sometimes it is worth doing that. People think that, civility = cowardliness and that its an invitation to take you for granted.
Don't feel bad that she gave you a sarcastic reply. That was the only way out for her to put the blame on you!
Oh BTW - Good Luck! I know its going to be alright
:-D
You are never wrong to voice your opinion. Say it loud, say it proud. :)
Congrats on the personal statement, btw.
Post a Comment