July 23, 2011

Selling Lipstick

I have gotten some strange reactions when I tell people I am a Mary Kay consultant. Some of these looks are due to my formerly shy nature, but most are due to the stereotype of Mary Kay.  This is frustrating, yet rewarding, because I get a chance to explain what Mary Kay cosmetics is all about and what being a consultant actually means. 

First, I want to say that becoming a consultant is THE best career decision I have ever made.  In three months I have grown in confidence and am becoming a stronger person.  Tell me what other job can give me that?? I have not regretted my decision at all since starting and I love what I do. 

Second, let's talk about Mary Kay.  MK was originally founded on skincare, not cosmetics.  When you have an MK consultant, you have a skincare specialist.  Good makeup makes you look good for what, 15 hours?  Good skincare makes you look good for 15 years. So while MK does have cosmetic products, it is much more than just "selling lipstick." It is also not "just for old ladies."  It is never too early to start preventing the signs of aging, and it's never too late to help reverse them.  MK is for everyone, yes, even men!

One of my fears coming in was that I was any reactions I may get coming from a feminist-empowerment, social-justice program.  How was I going to explain quitting my degree to make women more attractive?!  Well, Mary Kay made that easy.  While reading her autobiography (which I totally recommend by the way) I realized that the company is the definition of empowerment!  Mary Kay started the company to give women a chance in a man's world.  Through this business I am my own boss! I give myself a raise or a promotion whenever I want.  When I pay myself, I don't get 75c to the dollar, I get the full dollar!!!  And my classes are about helping women feel more beautiful and confident for themselves, not for a man.  Self-care is so important, and women rarely take the time to do it.  However, I have noticed that taking the extra 15 minutes twice a day for my skincare routine makes me feel so much more confident during the day. When I go to work, I get to share that feeling with other people and get paid for it.  I can't imagine a better job!

My director and all those in our unit are amazing as well.  I can't tell you how refreshing it is to be a part of a real group of women! And by real I mean honest, sincere, and caring... not backstabbing! It's amazing. I am so inspired by the women I spend every Monday night and am loving the fellowship! The rewards of being a consultant are amazing as well.  I have already earned three pairs of earrings for free! My goal at the moment is to finish out this year by earning a free 2012 chevy malibu, completely free!  Agh! I can't wait!!

So yeah, this was a long post, but I hope I at least made my point :) If you are interested in any products, hosting a party, or starting your career let me know! Even if we are very far away I can work with you, promise!  www.marykay.com/ksavoie

2 comments:

Brahmin in Boston said...

This is so amazing!
I never considered a consultant as a "Selling lipstick" kind of a job but to be truthful, I never knew so much about it. Thanks for the knowledge.

It is very true that being with the right women can make all the difference in the confidence and personal strength and growth.

I wish you all the best and really hope you win the Malibu and drive it in to Boston!! :D

Kirsty said...

Thanks!!! I'll definitely drive the Malibu to Boston and we'll go cruising :)

© Life's Little Adventures, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena